https://publishers.viglink.com/sign-up/LV_KOdxXii8

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Any My Space Users out there? Plus Silent Hill Preview

I am not a huge fan of group site things such as Face Book and My Space. but I decided to make accounts with both, just because I was told it is an easy way to keep track of friends and you can start online groups like that of Yahoo! So, I decided to try it out. So far they are mundane, but I did create a book club! I only have three members now, but if others would like to join, It is called "Utopian Book Club" named after the book Utopia by Sir Thomas More. If you do not know this book, or author, you should pick up a copy of the book Utopia, because it is quite the read. Anyhow, let us get to tonight's Preview:




Tonight I decided to do a preview of a movie rather than a book, because I personally see nothing yet noteworty at this moment, but will do a set previews for spring books soon. The movie I am previewing is Silent Hill, from director Christophe Gans. I believe I have mentioned this movie before during the Saw II preview and/or review, but I have finally seen the trailor, and believe that this movie will live up where other movies in the genere have fell. Now, I am a huge fan of the game, so I may have a bias opinion here, but I do believe by what I saw that it has elements I do not feel too fond of. I see it as a totally different medium for the series, so I view it as I am seeing it for the first time
I would say if you know the storyline for the first game already, you may not enjoy it so much, because it seems that elements of all the games are included in this movie. This may be a good thing, where movies like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider have failed, due to lack of respect to the genere. I feel Doom did do well with keeping respect to the FPS shooter, although the acting, and much of the story could have really been contemplated over a little before final cut.
Let us not down this game movie fast, because where Resident Evil, and such games fail, Silent Hill does well, and I if you played the games before, they pretty much are small dramatic movies with some playing in between. The radio is going to be a factor of the movie, where distortion kicks in when monsters come close into the area. There is also a very important look at the religious side of this series, which must be very much included into the movie, and maybe the movie will help explain the cult further.
If you are familar with the game you will recall that the religion of Silent Hill is a somewhat varied mixture of the occult and Chirstianity, where the angels are worshipped individually. Samas (Spelling is questionable) is the name of the god who is worshipped, and may become a big part of the film's ending, of course this is just my theory, not fact. I am according this to the game's history, and feel that if done properly, this may be one of the best horror/drama movies of this year. It is scheduled for release in theaters this April, and will either be PG-13 or R, but most-likely PG-13. Again, this movie to be well must fit the elements of the Silent Hill universe. I beleive that the camera shots look excellent, and are done through the eyes of someone who understands how fans will react to this film. Gans knows that the Silent Hill fans expect a lot more from this film than what Resident Evil fans expected from the movies, and were denied.

This movie is shaping up to be one helluva good time for fans, and perhaps for those experienceing the sick twisted world of Silent Hill for the first time.
Final Thought on this movie: If they can focus the energy of the film on the frightening and disturbing images like that of the game, and make the storyline the most important aspect, this will not disappoint the target audienence of fans.
Will the movie live up to the series? Check back when I give my review in the spring.

No comments: