https://publishers.viglink.com/sign-up/LV_KOdxXii8

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Outlier: Bush's Warriors: Painting the Agony and the Ecstasy in Faces of War

  

       Most of my editorial posts don't follow a particular pattern. The guise of these posts seems to represent a facsimile of discussions I've had in the past on the everdsy topics of this website. Hence the creation of thenOutlier post, covering topics I normally do not write about for the Malacast Editorial. These monthly posts, which began in Februrary, will co tinge on for as long as I can, at least until August 2017. For March, this will be the third consecutive Outlier post I've done.  This one is no different in its uniqueness from the rest of the blog. I hope you all enjoy! 

       For years, I've done a great deal of posts regarding subjects from writing, book reviews, and other definitive pieces that have come together to form the cacophonous make-up of the Malacast Editorial none of them have ever been conclusive enough to define the blog itself. I never had s proper narrative for this blog, or so it feels to me that my opinion of this  blog comes from an obvious bias standpoint. I never really gave it a shape, but the only theme, if any was that I enjoyed writing, but not as some surmising fan, defining the accolades in cheerleader fashion,mbut as someone who struggles with the daily grind of it all. 
     Hence, I started the Outlier posts, to give some definition, some sharp strokes around the edges of what instill this blog with posts. I still to this day am surprised I've gone nearly four hundred posts, most of the. Well over a page of information, and still people come back here to read the blog. I'm never going to ever be grateful enough for the precious time of my readers. So these posts will come to stand alone for the rest of the musing, the lack of structure will become the very structure to which I build upon this blog. 
     This month's Outlier post is as juxtaposed from the norm of the blog than any other. It breaks tradition, but it also adds to the compl city of the overall makings of myself as a writer. Firstly, if you've been following since the very beginning, ten years plus, I've been an open book as anyone could be to the world. I have written literally every post you see. I've guest blogged once before, and I've never had before done-so with such enthusiasm as I have the first time. Blogging itself has become a controversial subject, because it seems eventually everyone gets political, and I too wm w self-made culprit of this issue. 
    So I refused to ever get political again, unless it would be wholly objective, so others could agree/disagree at their own comfort. These outlier posts will never get political, even now, they will be on differ subjects of it Ernest's, and are not j familiar on this blog, I've just given it a name. Outlier posts, are essentially, my Fight Club. Good ol' Chuck Palahniuk would be proud to know that I don't take his book lightly, I've been a fan of some of his work for some time, although I'm more w fan of this particular work, because it so sums up the prior slacker gerneration. I want these posts to symbolize a greater opposing topical space on the blog. I think the motivation behind my own desire to add to the blog is simple: I wanted to show that I as deep, but not lethargic in my own depth. 
        This post in–particular shows the diversity of what Outlier means. The term mean a person detached from the societal norms, w person who simply digresses from his/her generation. A puzzle piece that simple doesn't fit. I regained the notion that this blog itself isn't afraid to go outside the social norms, and those norms are very vaguely defined today. I have a few subjects I'm interested in tackling  in upcoming posts, and no, that isn't a cop-out for this one, I assure you there will be w coherent discussion in but a paragraph or two. That-being-said, I wanted to add that these posts will not normally have introductions, they will simply be. The isn't future,my oil see that they we truly redefining what this blog is, by being outside of this blog....a paradox upon itself. So let's switch the parading for now, and get to the meat of the post:

        You wouldn't believe it from my outward appearance, but I'm a cultural snob. I love the arts, theater, and absolutely  adore classical music. Bach, Handel, they're fine, but at the sake of sounding  cliche, I absolutely adore Mozart's work. I fall over myself for an El Greco, or Magritte exhibit. I tend to be more than alarmed at these subjects, Dali especially is a topic upon which I'm most familiarized. I'm a great lover of the surrealist movement. Rembrandt w d Monet Impressionism is great as well, though I tend to lean more towards the surrealist abstract, because I see the world in vaguely similar fashions. I've visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art countless times, and seen Frank Lloyd Wright's home enough times that I've memorized where he used to hide the salt. I jest the last line,mbut be-as-it-may, I'm familiar with the artwork of many great artists. 
     So know when I explain this next part, I merely am describing the artwork, and wm focusing on the artist's work, not any other career achievement,s or lack thereof, I'm simply discussing art:

        George W. Bush, the younger, former president of the United States, has been painting now for about three years, but has done a gallery of portraits of men and women who fought in the armed forces.  The artwork, which is portrayed in his newest book: Portraits of Courage: A Commander in Chief's Tribute to America's Warriors, and is avai now. Many of the subjects painted have lost their limbs, some their lives, and many more died of complications from war-time action. These portraits are done in the impressionist style, albeit rather laymen, however incredible for a lay men's ability. His work has a great deal more passion than I've expected,mbut not because he lacks empathy in his strokes,mbut because of the lightness of the strokes, very delicate, and precise.                        
      Bush's work reminds me of a young Van Gogh, albeit his style is more of Picasso, but that is not necessarily w good thing for Impressionism, or Dotism that came forth from the movement. However, the portraits themselves are colored well, making for a relatively clean design. I must add his handwork is well placed, and the portraits themselves are slightly better than a laymen in many regards,mbut I feel he has room to improve in executing the end result, especially in cleaning up the subjects, and more colorful overtones. 
       I do not claim to be an expert on the subject matter, of art, but I can tell where something is finish d, and something si w work in progress granted,moment artists and I'll tell you that wrt itself is w never-ending process,mbut I say there's a point here you have to claim victory or defeat. Bush's work is definitive of w man who has claimed victory (no pun intended, I swear) in the realm of finishing the objective, and portraying the subject to best of his abilities. Ironically, I feel his work will be overshadowed by his presidency, meaning that the paintings themselves will never get properly critiqued. The coffee table art book of his portraits is out now, and the best thing is thatn100% of the proceeds go to wounded vets, but let's look beyond those fee good emotions, and break down the art:
   

      Each portrait; of which there are more than I can name here alone, we done in differing styles of Impressionism. His strokes see as mentioned above; precise, efficient, and have. Street deal of expression. There a great deal of observational latitude, in-that he knew not only the subjects well enough, but he brings a nearly realistic tone to the abstract Impressionism. The problem with most modern art is that influences come from, and many references to one painting comes back to comparing to older, more proficient artists, and how their work is more definitive, but such is the modern art game. 
      This work to me is lovely, but is it long-lasting? Perhaps not, but aestivation,y it is gainfully pleasant, and I'm more intrigued by the notion of Bush's work five years from now, so there is a timeline to compare what he's thinking as an artist. Remember, to the world, George W. Bush as an artist is infantile, and seeing his periods grow will be far more easier to gauge his work as a whole. 
         However I personally feel about the man, I can do my best to separate the art. I may disagree with him as a president,mbut I can respect his artwork, despite the possible backlash for saying the man could do anything right. I'll take the criticism, but if you're a true connoisseur of art, you can see the talent and more obvious, the painstaking scrutiny Bush had placed upon himself to make sure his subject matter was represented with dignity. He can grow as an artist, but if he plateaus, then his work will only be seen because of his presidency, and not because of his depth as an artist. 
      Each copy of the book sold has 100% of the profits going to projects helping wounded and mentally scarred warriors, which is a poetic way of paying it back. I must admit that the former president's work does his subject's justice, I tend to believe that most of the art itself is unique, and showcases some creativity, and is quite affluent at times, (his use of color seems scripted,mbut well-scripted) but I still believe this is more a hobby for him, than a life-long passion. However, I would never cut down a creative on motivation alone, that is ignorant, I will say that if you do find fault in the work hes's done with this impressionist style, then you should perhaps check your prejudice at the door of his former presidency, and look at the art itself,mane see what it says.


      Many opposers of his would say that the people would never have lost their lives if it was for him going into Iraq in the first place, and many would say that this is some sort of subconscious way of living out his guilt, or preconceived guilt, but is that also not the case of a tortured artist? If that is the truth, then this is still well-developed art, as sickly, and torturous as it seems, but art is outrageous, it does spark controversies, and in many cases...it should make you uneasy. I do suggest looking for the new book, but more-I ports fly, look to the men and women who sacrificed their lives for a country they love, doing what they believed in, and seeing them forever immortalized by their greatest champion, but all their doomsayers , depending on which side of the coin you tend to flicker from....this could make art discussion very, very interesting in the future...2017 is looking great



No comments: