https://publishers.viglink.com/sign-up/LV_KOdxXii8

Friday, April 07, 2017

Wrestlemania 33: My Views on This Year's Showcase of the Immortals

Wrestlemania was in the books on April 2nd, and to many it was what you'd come to expect from a pay-per-view show: lots kf drama, lots of title changes, and a few that stayed the same. Though I was shocked to see that the newest match: Andre the Gisnt Memorial Battle Royal, which is tainted by being associated with Hulk Hogan, was pushed to the ores how because four hours was filled up by the other matches. Firstly, the match that should've been ores how if any, is the first match of the night, which was Shane O Mac against Aj Stykes. This was a buzz worthy match, with Aj going over in the end, but was it main show worthy? Nit to my observation, and that should've went to Dean Amborse and Baron Corbin,p for the IC title. 
       MoJo Raleigh won the Battle Royal, which was much less interesting than the previous year. The matches were rather dull once they aired, most of them paled in-comparison, as though they wanted to add an extra hour to Wrestlemania. I'd like to remind you the first handful of Wrestlemanias were barely over three hours in leg th, and yet, if felt like they added more to the actual line second match was KO and Jericho, and that one went okay, it wasn't very memorable, but at least it was for a title. It's amazing how well-adjusted the Raw and Smackdown shows in-comparison to ten pay-per-views, as though the writers/crew seem to get stunted by a stroke when it comes to major live events.  NXT really outshines, and outclassed this year's Wrestlemania, in that at least the final match with Bobby Roode and Shinsuke Nakamora kept me interested, I didn't much like the result,mbut it was still fun to watch. 
    Getting back to the actual show: after Kevin Owens goes over in Jericho, the next match I believe was the women's championship, Raw side. I naturally would've liked to see Nia Jax go over for a decent heal run, but she's still too tender I think to hold the title for too long, and she may never get the chance, but she's still showcasing amazing talent in the match. The fatal four way elimination match was pretty spot on, and although it grew a bit stale, almost a copycat of the year the new belt was first introduced, I was starting to think that it may have been a bit too unrealistic to have Bayley go over, but it is supposed to cement her as a legitimate champion, and I'll assume either a tag team match will be made against her, with Sasha Banks, against Nia Jax and Charllote. (I'm writing this before Mi day Night Raw, so It may even come down to a rematch as it does with most post-Wrestlemania Raw events. 
     Then the ladder match for the tag team titles, another sort of sad situation: granted, the Hardy Boyz came back, and yes...there was a circumstance that expected them to come back for the fatal four way there with the teams of: Enzo and Cass, Sheamus and Ceasaro, and Gallows and Anderson.  Those three teams were practically on fire. Either Sheamus and Ceasro, a tag team that was "designed" by Mick Foley, and the general consensus was that the team was so over with the fans they had renewed their careers. Talk so but over, Enzo and Cass were looking for a big win, and even though mockery of their shtick can be called into question concerning their legitimacy, I find it more unabashedly upsetting that the Hardys win instantly, as though the talent managers and writers simultaneously want Ed to quell the fires either of these three order teams had going for them, and now they will be locked in a state of coulda, woulda, shoulda for at least six months. This was the first match that posed me off, showing that the writing an decision-making is getting worse and worse as the months roll on, so badly I may not even watch Payback. Yet they were upset that Paige had a sex tape released where she apparently "defined" the belt, WWE is already defiling its own brand with these screw jobs to the fans on a near monthly basis. Still, Wrestlemania is supposed to be special, and this one...it didn't feel special and a general disdain has been voiced throughout a great deal of the  fan base, as is normally the case. 
      I won't go through every single match-up, but it feels like I probably could, and full-disclosure, I completely fast forwarded through the match with Cena Nikki Bella, the Miz, and Maryse, even if it was her return to the ring. I did catch the nearly-staged engagement between John and Nicole, which I'm sure will be. Since setup for an E! Network show building up to their wedding of the century, but it was at least an attempt on Cena to do the right thing, and makes him suck less in my book, so long as he actually does right by Nikki. 
     First of the last matches I'm going to chat about: the Bray Wyatt match with Randy Orton for the WWE championship. Firstly, Randy went over in a very bizarre matchup where the ring started to have projections thrown on it, which I think ruined the match, as though some artsy dickhead just got out of college and wanted to take the match Ina strange, and unusual direction to be eccentric or ironic, or some other false emotive. I hated this match, I really didn't have a care to be involved, and I only watched it through because I was too dumbfounded to even fast forward through it because of what bulkshit was incurring on the screen. I swear, if anyone needed a reason to just watch NXT, this is a primary reason NOT to get moved up to the main roster.  Randy Orton went over, and I'm starting to think that this may very well be the beginning of a potentially good story arch, like how he defeated the Eat of Worlds and the rising up again of Wyatt....however, I felt the road to get there was tainted by this ridiculous match. 
        Next, the Goldberg Lesnar match for the Universal title. At least it was longer than two minutes,mbut not much longer. The suplexes followed by the F5 to end the match was like a bit longer than eight minutes,mbut if it pushed passed ten, I'd be shocked. So Lesnar is now the champ,Mao we'll see the belt defended again in the year 2025 I'm sure. 
       The best match had to be the up sanctioned match with HHH and Seth Rollins, as HHH entrance was spectacularly good, but not over the top like it was prior with the carrying of him and Stephanie to the ring,mbut I love how it is like King and Queen whenever he wrestles. Ironically HHH has a great deal of say in what he can do, and even how the match was called, although the torch coming down was a bit stupid, this isn't the Olympics, and the entrance made Seth look foolish, it was the fest match of the night. This isn't saying it was some glorious fight, we've seen it before, countless times, just played out differ tell each time, but the pace, and the excitement actually kept me watching it, and it was one of the longer matches of the night. Far longer than even the Reigns/Taker match, or so it felt.
      Hooray for segues, because that's the last match I'm going to talk about.  Most know that Undertake had finally retired, and Marc Calloway who has been perhaps my biggest idol, and the man I've respected for all of my life is finally going to enjoy a healthy, long retirement, as I hope he can, and I believe he will be inducted fairly soon into the Hall of Fame, and I believe I'll see it in my lifetime.  This is a controversial match, as it is changing of the guard: Undertake put over Roman, a guy people loved, yet when he was pushed, they turned on him like rabid mongooses. Most people feel he got pushed too early, or that he got it earlier than other guys like Ambrose, a far more likes Le component of the former Shield. I also think Roman keeping the former Shield music didn't help him get away much in character, and now when it hits, the crowd is visceral. However, I also think this was about expect and a challenge. Undertaker and Reigns on any bill should bring intrigue to the masses, and yes, the obvious choice was to have John Cena fight Taker, as a "what if?" match, but that wasn't going to happen. 
   Instead we get this no holds barred match that showcases the talents of both men, and a commendable effort on both parts to do what very few other superstars could. You could tell Taker was done after this match, as he barely wrestled, because the poor man can barely move,mbut it was amazing the career lasted as long as it had for Undertakeer, and I'm sure he'll be working in the backdrop, as he likely has been for some time. I doubt he'll ever leave the ring per say, but it will be fun to see just how far out until the man is inducted into the HoF. Reigns went over, as it a fitting end with a spear, and Taker left the stage, with his hat and trench oat in the center of the ring. Many were emotional over this, but I have to admit, I'm kinda glad he's done, because he's been going for so long, that it's a bit worrisome to me that he may have had hurt himself to a point of no return.  

   Overall, this year wasn't very good, and I'm starting to think what will replace that Undertak match, and if there will be a new streak/run to start. 2018 is s long way aways, and there's a lot that can happen by then in the industry. I'm starting to see, however, that this year's Wrestlemania wasn't nearly as good as the last few, but it's gone downhill, as has the Rumble another staple of the WWE lineup, including Summerslam, perhaps the third most important pay-per-view of the year, and a fitting end to the wrestling television "season". 
     This year wasn't my favorite, but Wrestlemania wasn't without some memorable moments. It wasn't that great either, so I'd give it a 4.5 out of 10 overall, but I'd love to see where some of the belt swaps go from here, especially if it brings in a few more surprises. 

UPDATE

    I would like to add that Monday Night Raw was really an extension of Wrestlemania, with the addition of the Rival, and Tuesday's Smackdown Live was also a nice end to the television week of WWE, but what really made me intrigued was the absolute hatred for Roman Reigns, and it was brutal.  Although Shinsuke Nakamora showing up on Msackdown, and to the former mention of Raw we had Finn Balor return as well.  Raw was  stuck,y amazing as it is now marketed as its own special event with the hasten Raw After Wrestlemania, and it was truly a fun event with the beach all going around, but does it help, or hurt the brand? I believe it's a humbling day, and ironically it was better controlled than the entirety of the former pay-per-view. 
    I think if Payback (the next pay-per-view to come in just a few weeks) could be great if it extends the initial storylines being built. I'm very interested in seeing what a House of Horrors match is via Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton. Unless it's similar to that annoying match we just witnessed, because that shit was tepid with the maggots, worms, etc. 
      The Superstar Shakeup is going to be a fun event next week, and I'll definitely be tuning in for that, to see if it will actually change the game, resetting it completely, and setting up for a highly anticipated Summerslam. 

No comments: